LB Carpenter is a CPA Member of the Bar United States Tax Court. He was admitted to the US Tax Court Bar in 2017. Initially, he partnered with a local attorney to provide pre-trial tax litigation support but soon discovered that he had increased billable hours due to inquiring attorneys who sought consultation or true expert witness testimony. Because of his training at TLI, he understands both the litigation and accounting side of a tax case. During the 2018 Testing Cycle, he lectured Tax Court bar applicants at TLI. In April 2017, after receiving his pass letter from the Tax Court, LB wrote the following to TLI Faculty, "Good news came in the mail today. They say I passed. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Without your help and diligence in feeding this information to our brains, I just don't know... Please thank the Judge as well. I really appreciated his help as well as yours." Counsel Carpenter earned the 2017 Judicial Certificate of Merit.
"They worked methodically through the Joni Larson book until we all knew Tax Evidence... It was a wonderful feeling to finally understand how to apply the Federal Rules of Evidence to answer the non-attorney exam questions with confidence... Because of my training at TLI my Federal tax practice has really grown..."
- "Most classes were moderated by a retired US Tax Court Special Trial Judge who perviously worked in both the domestic and international offices of the Chief Counsel Internal Revenue Service."
- "Because the group was small I got a lot of attention paid to me which probably made all the difference..."
- "A retired law professor entirerly focused on Federal tax evidence guided us through Joni Larson's book on Tax Evidence and the Judge reinforced the principles, while going over questions and solutions to prior years' Evidence exam sections."
- "A CPA and then recently admitted Member of the Bar United States Tax Court explained his big case as an USTCP."
- "We discussed everything there is to know about the Exam and small case practice."
- "We practiced answering exam questions right up to the day before the actual Exam..."
- "The Judge and Teaching Faculty followed-up with all the test candidates one week after the Exam to hear about the questions that appeared..."
- "The Teaching Faculty was always available by phone to discuss any learning issues we had..."
- "The virtual classes met every Saturday for six months for 2-3 hours and that made it very convenient to study..."
- "We learned that in Tax Court legal reasoning is based upon the Judge's interpretation of the Code and published opinions and the evidence admitted into the record at trial."
- "We had fun learning Legal Ethics and the US Tax Court Rules of Practice and Procedure."
- "We learned a lot about legal reasoning by reading published Opinions and the underlying cases."
- "We learned the all the tested subjects so well that I was confident when I wrote my answers to the questions."
- "The Judge and law professor meticulously explained pleadings, motions, and pre-trial and trial proceedings."
- "They stressed the importantance of time management so I was able to complete all test questions within the 4 hours."
- "We practiced taking and writing notes in long-hand so my hands didn't cramp after 4 hrs..."
- "We reviewed old exam questions and discussed answers so often that I know it made the difference in my passing..."
- "We learned how to read all assigned materials several times."
- "We practiced solving exam questions so often that we learned early on how much we really didn't know..."
- "The best part of the entire program was that we were coached by an US Tax Court judge who knew everything."
- "At the end, I was very pleased with my choice. Given that each Testing Cycle, it is a sitting US Tax Court judge who actually writes the exam questions, it seemed like just plain good sense for me to select a prep program coached by a retired US Tax Court judge."
- "If you want to know more about my experience then contact TLI and they'll put us in touch with each other."
"If you enroll in our 2020 Non-attorney Exam Preparation Program and do not pass then you may retake, free-of-charge, the 2022 US Tax Court Exam Prep Virtual Lecture & Conference Series"
Inquire firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.888.317.4489